My Technical Notes

Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Installing Emacs On Windows 7

To install emacs...

  1. First download it from the official site:

    http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/

    The one I downloaded was emacs-23.3-bin-i386.zip but download the latest version.

  2. Within the zip file, I found a folder called emacs-23.3 which is replete with folders such as bin, etc and info etc. Copy emacs-23.3 to C:\Program Files\.

  3. Now create a folder in C:\Users\<My Name>\AppData\Roaming called .emacs.d, within it we want to create a file called init.el. This is the file that emacs reads when it loads up.

    Add the following lines to init.el (Be sure to replace <My Name>):

    
    (add-to-list 'load-path "/Users/<My Name>/AppData/Roaming/.emacs.d")
      
  4. Now it would be a good idea to make a shortcut to C:\Program Files\emacs-23.3\bin\runemacs.exe.

  5. EDIT: later when I tried using the application is came up with a curious error message:

    Error (initialization): User has no home directory

    Due to this, I created a laucher batch script containing the following text:

    
    SET HOME=c:\Users\Tahir\AppData\Roaming\
    "C:\Program Files\emacs-23.3\bin\runemacs.exe"
    EXIT
      

    This batch script sets up the HOME to be that Roaming directory wherein we created the .emacs.d folder.

You have finished installing the application!

No comments: