I am using MS Office 2010 and OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Let's say you are storing all your files in a folder named `dissertation`. This folder has the following structure:
- `dissertation` - the containing folder for all dissertation-related documents.
- `dissertation.docx` - the Word 2010 document.
- `tools_diagram.odg` - the Draw document
- `exports` - a folder containing all exported diagrams.
- `tools_diagram.emf` - The above diagram's export in EMF format (Enhanced Meta File).
Within `tools_diagram.odg`, set all the margins to zero.
The first step is to export `tools_diagram.odg` to an `.emf` file:
- Click on `File` → `Export`, set the path to be in `exports` folder, `Save as type` = `EMF` and accept the default options and click `OK`.
Next, within your Word document, you use `Ctrl+F9` to insert a field code bracket, and within it type:
Thereafter, press `F9`. Use `Alt+F9` to toggle the field codes so you can see your diagram. You may have to resize the diagram.